I found this meme over at Musings of a Housewife today. I really enjoyed reading about Jo-Lynne’s year so I thought I would take this sucker on myself. It was a way bigger project than I had anticipated. Oye!
A WORD OF WARNING BEFORE YOU BEGIN TO READ: This is way more information than you probably want to know about me. You might need to bring along a snack before you begin. I hope you don’t think I am kidding. And please let me know if you put it on your blog. I’ll be happy to stop by and read!
1. What did you do in 2009 that you have never done before?
Self host a blog! (I’d been blogging for others for a couple of years but never ventured out on my own until this year!) Run a style section for a magazine! Pen an article for Maryland Life Magazine. (Out in March of 2010) I mean, I could go on and on. I’ve been very blessed.
2. Did you keep your new years resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Yes and no. I ended up a little disappointed at myself on this one but I have every confidence that 2010 will by MY year to shine!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
YES! My husband’s cousin had an adorable little munchkin. We haven’t seen her in person yet but boy is she sweet to look at!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Yes. Uncle Lawrence passed away early in the year and my friend Kim passed away in a tragic helicopter accident. So very, very sad.
5. What countries did you visit?
If you count my trip to Disney and Epcot then Mexico, Norway, Italy, Morocco, France, Japan, etc… If you are not counting Disney then let’s just say that I don’t even own a passport. Just call me George Bailey.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
A new car, a personal trainer and a gym membership.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I don’t have a specific date necessarily. Not that I can recall. But I am losing my mind so I tend to remember nothing after 30 days. If I had to pick one or two, they would probably be from our vacation in Disney World this year. So. Much. Fun.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Honestly, I had a huge struggle with anxiety this year as a result of the new job. It rubbed off on every aspect of my life from my relationship with my children to my husband to my weight (gain!) and overall attitude. Majorly ashamed of how I couldn’t overcome the stress.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had a couple of small bouts with illness but nothing I couldn’t handle.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
My new HP laptop, baby! (Courtesy of my family for my birthday!)
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Okay, I have no idea what this questions means.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The President and all of the folks running the country right now. My opinion – get rid of them all.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Food. Possibly Starbucks. Or Dunkin’ Donuts. (I have a coffee problem.)
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Besides blogging? Every time that my sons brought home good grades or said something profound or hilarious. It is shocking how much I love them.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
This one. Hands down. (Gee, thanks small children!)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder?
b) thinner or fatter?
c) richer or poorer?
Fatter. LOL! Happier. Money issues never change, do they?
18. What do you wish youd done more of?
Play with my kids! Read the bible. Spent more time with girlfriends.
19. What do you wish youd done less of?
Feeling anxious. Worrying. Stressing.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas at home but the rest was spent chillin at my relatives house in NJ.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
All over again with my husband. Every year with him gets better. Seriously. (And now my iPhone, which the husband gave me so technically he can’t complain that I love another man, err… machine.)
22. What was your favorite TV program?
24. Duh. Jack Bauer is my favorite.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didnt hate this time last year?
No. I don’t ever HATE people. Ever. I just don’t believe in that word.
24. What was the best book you read?
There are so many! In January I discovered Twilight so, you know, need I say more? I also love inspirational books so…. I go through books like some go through water. I am reading “It’s Your Time” by Joel Osteen right now and it is pretty life altering.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Bizarre but true: Lady Gaga
26. What did you want and get?
New laptop! But more important than all that, I have a healthy happy family, amazing friends, food on the table and a roof over my head. What more could I possibly want?
27. What did you want and not get?
Gloves. Which sounds stupid now that I write it down.
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
Julie & Julia is all I can think of right now. We watch a ton of movies and I’ve already mentioned the fact that my brain is fried, right?
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I was 30-something, and I was at the home with friends that night. Yeah, I’m not giving up the age right now. It is childish. I know.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
No idea. I’m pretty thankful for everything. I guess fitting into a size 2 jean would have been satisfying. <—-LOL!
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Anything that my growing (and not in a good way) hips could still fit into.
32. What kept you sane?
My faith. Always my faith.
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
The trillions being spent by our lovely representatives to “stimulate the economy” or “pay for their own special interests.” And this stupid health care bill that is being rushed through…. Grrrrr….
35. Who did you miss?
My sister. Ever since she started to work again I never get to talk to her. (Sniff, sniff)
36. Who was the best new person you met?
This is a hard one. I’ve met so many amazing women this year, not only in the bloggy world but also in real life. The Maryland Mom Bloggers group is filled with some fantastic women!
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
That I am my children’s biggest advocate. That I shouldn’t just wait around for a teacher to do what is best for them. That my job is to protect them and advocate for their needs. Don’t mess with this mamma!
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
This is too deep for me right now. I have no clue. None. “Bow, chica, wow, wow?” (See #16)