Gratitude Deficiency

I’ve decided that I am deficient in gratitude.

Probably not more than the next person, but still.  Enough that I need to do something about it.

I think that being grateful is not something that comes easy for most of us. We have expectations. We feel slightly entitled.   Some of us just don’t know any different. We don’t know what it is like to really, REALLY go without.  We’ve always had clean water to drink and food to eat.

I am blessed to have a wonderful, caring husband and two sweet children that I adore. I have a house, a job and modest creature comforts. Yet still… I sometimes take these things for granted.  In my opinion, I lack a true, deep level of gratitude in many areas in my life.  I don’t tend to cherish the small things.

I want to cultivate a more grateful attitude.

I’ve heard it said that once you concentrate on something consistently for an extended period of time it becomes second nature to you.  A habit.

I’m banking on this.gratitude-2

For the next 32 days I plan on documenting my gratitude in a journal in the hopes that I will learn how to truly and deeply comprehend the blessings in my life.  A simple reaffirmation of the glass being half full, instead of empty.

You probably think that 32 days is an odd number… it is and it isn’t. The significance? My birthday. I would like to celebrate my birthday with an improved attitude and a more joyful and thankful heart.

I probably won’t subject you to 32 days worth of my musings, after all, it would get a little boring and a tad too personal. I just encourage you to play along if you want to and keep track of those things in your life that make you grateful and joyful, no matter how small. You never know, you might just surprise yourself!

“Gratitude consists of being more aware of what you have, than what you don’t.” –Unknown

9 Responses to "Gratitude Deficiency"

1. parenting BY dummies
    parenting BY dummies 1719 days ago .

Good for you! I think that my constant guilt is a product of my gratefulness. I always feel like I don’t deserve the wonderful people and things in my life and when I do things for myself I feel like I am taking advantage and not focusing enough on them. Hard to explain because it’s neurotic and crazy. I’m working on it, kay?!
    .-= parenting BY dummies´s last blog ..The Birth of a Hero =-.

2. Courtney
    Courtney 1719 days ago .

Funny, just last night I was entering my “thankful thing” on the list I’m keeping on my blog and I was having a hard time coming up with a new thing that I am grateful for. I have been keeping the list since Nov. 1st and apparently I am only thankful for 15 things. I got stuck last night. But now reading your post, I feel renewed to be more conscious about the wonderful things in my life. Thanks!
    .-= Courtney´s last blog ..Flight Patterns =-.

3. Michelle
    Michelle 1719 days ago .

I need to work on this too. Great post! :)
    .-= Michelle´s last blog ..♥Rough Stuff. =-.

4. Mayhem & Moxie
    Mayhem & Moxie 1719 days ago .

I love this idea….especially since it will all be culminating up to your birthday. What a great way to bring in another year.

Oh, and you are definitely not alone on needing to be a bit more thankful. We could all stand to follow your fabulous example.
    .-= Mayhem & Moxie´s last blog ..Reliving The Dream =-.

5. DiPaola Momma
    DiPaola Momma 1719 days ago .

Gratitude journal.. GREAT idea! I’m far more guilty than I care to share in “public” of being less than grateful for all the amazing things I have in life. I wonder if this is predominantly an American thing. Have we become so mired in the want of material things as a society that we forget to be thankful for the immaterial things that make life worth living? Why is it that we find our giving hearts and thankful actions mostly only around this time of year? I think you should challenge your readers to keep that journal year round, and maybe do just one thing a month to lift the spirits of an other person. It doesn’t have to take money or be extravagant. But maybe if we each took up the gauntlet we’d all find ourselves more grateful.. MY SELF INCLUDED!

Gratitude “GREAT-ATTITUDE”! Thanks for this post Jen!
    .-= DiPaola Momma´s last blog ..Why do I bother? =-.

6. Adrienzgirl
    Adrienzgirl 1719 days ago .

I think gratitude and humility go hand in hand. You know the old adage “It’s hard to be humble.”
    Same thing with gratitude, it’s easier to wish for what you don’t have than be thankful for what you do. Thought provoking as always Jen!
    .-= Adrienzgirl´s last blog ..Awards Show =-.

7. Tawnia
    Tawnia 1718 days ago .

Thanks for this. I am grateful for it:)
    .-= Tawnia´s last blog ..Lesbians, Comedians, & African Americans…. Oh My! =-.

8. Michelle
    Michelle 1717 days ago .

Last week someone started a thing on FB posting a new status update daily of what you are thankful for each day until Thanksgiving. It has been a great way for me to take a step back and acknowledge all the blessings in my life.

I hope your journal goes well!
    .-= Michelle´s last blog ..I now have TWO nine year olds, Yikes! =-.

That is totally where I got this idea! Funny!