Imagine your kindergartner asking for and receiving condoms from his/her school nurse without your knowledge.

How does that make you feel?

Yeah, me too.

Thanks to a new, district-wide policy approved by the Provincetown School Board, Veterans Memorial Elementary School will be making condoms available to students in all schools, event to those as young as kindergarten. And they are not going to be informing parents about the children requesting them.

Can I just tell you how angry this makes me? If my six year old asked for a condom from the school nurse I WOULD WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT.

Seriously, people.

IS THIS LOGICAL? Are kids really having sex this young? Why are they even available for children in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL? Am I the only parent in the world that thinks that children in elementary school should not be empowered like this? Or that at the very least, a parent has the RIGHT TO KNOW? I get the availability “safe sex” argument. Really, I do. I don’t care. I think it is ridiculous. When does it end? If my child is requesting a condom at that age then as a parent I have a lot more to worry about besides condoms. Children that young can’t emotionally deal with that type of intimacy. They are not mature enough. I would argue that this type of policy has the potential to be viewed by some as advocating children being intimate.

What say you?

UPDATE: National debate gets heated.  The latest from ABC news:  Kid Condoms: Provincetown Likely to Limit to 5th Grade and Up

Enhanced by Zemanta

8 Responses to "Mom Rant: Coming This Fall Provincetown, Mass Will Offer Condoms To Kindergartners"

1. Michelle @ Mommy Loves Stilettos

OH.MY.GOD!!!! I would seriously injure someone if they gave my six year old a condom! That is just over the top, insane, and makes no damn sense!
    Michelle @ Mommy Loves Stilettos recently posted..♥Friday, Finally.My Profile

I am completely with you on this. So ridiculous!

3. Alicia H.
    Alicia H. 1518 days ago .

Wow! I swear that is so freaking ridiculous! I have a 4 year old niece and I never want to hear about her getting a condom at school.

Can you even imagine?

5. Hanna
    Hanna 1518 days ago .

Well, at least it’s now been limited to 5th grade and up. That’s when they start teaching it. I get it but I don’t. Not really. The lack of telling the parents is really, really troublesome. But maybe – and I’m playing hardcore devil’s advocate here – maybe we should think about WHY they are doing it? I haven’t read/watched but maybe there is a good reason…? or a reason they think is good enough?

6. EyeOnTheLaw
    EyeOnTheLaw 1518 days ago .

This law firm condemns this policy, the people who passed it, and the agenda behind it. What do you think? Should a public school district be allowed to provide condoms to first graders whether their parents like it or not? Please vote: http://www.businesslawpc.com/blog.htm

7. DiPaola Momma
    DiPaola Momma 1518 days ago .

I blame the cast of Jersey Shore. Okay not really but doesn’t it seem like we are really headed down the rabbit hole these days? No one can figure out how to stop millions of gallons of oil from leaking out of a pipe, ruining lives and killing ecosystems. Six year old children (and NO I don’t feel any better about it now being 5th graders.. says the mom of kids in both age groups) being provided prophylactics… what next our Government suing a state for enforcing a federal law?!.. oh wait.. never mind. Curiouser curiouser…

8. pam-tastic
    pam-tastic 1517 days ago .

This makes me soooo furious that I can’t even type straight!!! What’s next? Catching a couple of 4th graders having sex under the bleachers at school and they’re just going to give them a condom? Wouldn’t they have to report that to the parents? How is the different? Isn’t there a law about sex and minors? Isn’t giving condoms to minors just a step away from that???
    Ohmywords!!!