I’m a busy lady. With two teenagers, a fairly demanding job and (oh yeah!) a life to enjoy, I am always on the lookout for ways to hack the system.
That being said, I believe that when you stop learning, you stop growing. Period.
So how to continue learning without spending all of my free time in a classroom? PODCASTS.
Now, I’ve written about this before and since that time, I’ve found a few new favorites so if you’re looking for some new ideas (or have never explored the world of podcasts) the following are a few to try:
- Stuff You Missed In History Class – More than a little obsessed with this podcast. Over the past few years my passion for history has been expanding. This podcast is right up my alley! Hosts Tracy V. Wilson and Holly Frey are my favorite podcasters to listen to (hands down) because I love their voices and their chemistry. The fact that they are hella smart is the icing on top of the cake.
- Freakonomics – Inspired by the books of the same name, Freakonomics Radio is hosted by Stephen Dubner, with co-author Steve Levitt. The tagline? Exploring “the hidden side of everything”. It is hard to point to my favorite topic because they are all simply fascinating. Don’t let the economics reference in the title steer you away, the hosts are super charming and the topics are easy to relate to.
- Inside Social Media – This is at the top of my business podcast list. This weekly show features the heads of social media from the most successful brands in the world. They discuss latest trends in social media marketing, how the brands use social media to grow their business and most importantly, how small businesses can model their success. A must listen if you are in the marketing field.
- FCF Church – Faith is a priority in my life. Now, I’m not a formal member of this church but I love the pastor and his sermons. The fact that they’ve embraced the technology of a podcast means that I can listen and learn even if my son has a soccer game in another state. (Yep, you guessed it. His travelling team plays… ONLY ON SUNDAYS. Ugh.)
- The Mistake Podcast – The theme of this podcast is “Try. Fail. Learn. Try Again. Succeed!” I love the emphasis on getting past failure. According to Edison, “Many of life’s failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.” I completely agree! Plus, Peter Shankman. ‘Nuff said.
- Glambition Radio: I’m a longtime Ali Brown fan. I find her coaching and mentoring work with female entrepreneurs empowering. Her new podcast focuses on successful woman and their powerful stories. The interviews are incredibly inspiring as are the subjects.
Incidentally, downloading the Downcast app for your smartphone will make listening a whole lot easier!